Berwin Jr. Executive Typewriter

One great thing about the community I live in, is that thrift here is very affordable, cheap even. I've never been a big decorator (although I am looking forward to changing that!) and I've been getting better about not bringing home things I don't need due to the years of living in a small house. However, while out killing some time last week, I popped into a new store in Sidney called Rust N Roses, an antique/vintage shop. And mixed in with everything, I came across this little beauty. It's a children's toy typewriter from the 1960s, as seen here in an old catalog:

Photo Props: Classic Toy Museum


And here's how it probably looked when a 1960s version of little Me got it in the mail:

Photo props: UPPERCASE Journal


And here is mine! The thing that excites me the most is that this is almost the same color as the typewriter I actually use. And I only paid 15 bucks for it! This won't get played with, but will be put somewhere great in our house. If you click on any picture, it will open a small slideshow of all the pictures:

Ta-Da! When you push the "space bar" on the bottom, it pushes the dial at the top away from you to type the desired letter onto paper.

A ribbon was held on the top between two leaf pin thingies, but is gone now. It looks more like a robin's egg blue here, but is actually more turquoise. 



Spin this dial to the letter you'd like to type, then push the space bar. Very labor intensive if you were serious about typing much of anything!

Someone must have done a lot of work on this little beauty because you can see wear marks on the "keys."


The keys don't actually work but are just raised up from the face.






Comments

Popular Posts